BEFORE YOU UPGRADE
Benefits of VidiReports 7
Please refer to this article of our Knowledge Base.
Upgrading or starting from scratch ?
VidiReports 7 includes an upgrade mechanism from versions 5 and 6.
With this mechanism, you will keep:
- Your network organization (sites, locations, boxes)
- Your configuration parameters
- Your entitlements provided by the former license file, such as expiration dates and features.
If you choose to start from scratch, you will have to re-organize your network, which means:
- Moving the newly created boxes into existing locations and deleting old boxes
- or, moving the newly created locations into your sites, and deleting the previous ones – you will lose data continuity as data is stored at the location level.
DOS AND DON'TS
- Test on a small subset of locations before complete network deployment
- Read the installation manual
- Stop VidiReports from working
- Stop any mechanism you had put in place to start VidiReports at boot
- Contact us in case you have any doubt
- Uninstall VidiReports 5 or 6 before upgrading
- Deploy on hundreds of boxes unless you have tested the mechanism before
- Miss the upgrade command line if you are on Linux
- Download VidiReports 7 from VidiCenter – selecting the network will make sure new boxes are created in this network, it will not have an impact on pre-existing boxes.
- Note your current boxIDs and stop all instances of VidiReports currently running on the computer
- Make sure the existing VidiReports installation will not launch again after restarting the computer
- You may have included it :
in the user startup programs folder, (check C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup)
or in the all users startup programs folder, (check C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup)
- Launch the installer and follow the instructions.
It should automatically detect a previous installation and ask you to import settings
- Once you are finished, go to the Control Center by typing https://locahost:9443 or http://localhost:9080 in Chrome – the username and passwords you had created for the Control Center will be reset to the default ones admin and secret. You will be able to reset them at a later stage.
- Verify that your installation is working as expected and that your boxID was conserved.
- If you want to stop, start or reboot the service, go to Windows’ Services menu by typing Services in Windows’ search bar.
- You may keep the former version of VidiReports on the machine, as long as it is no longer restarted. If you are confident everything is working fine, you can also delete the corresponding directory.